Thursday, July 17, 2008

Family...

Family is a funny thing. In the Chinese culture, we consider not only our immediate family, but also the extended family as part of "family". In my maternal family, all the cousins are quite close to each other. Vi and I are close to Andrew, Hubert, and Philip, because we spent a lot of time with them during our childhood year, that is before I came to Sydney. Now that all them are married with kids, we get along really well with their wives and kids as well. Although they all live in HK now, I see them often enough to be able to maintain a good relationship with them. It is always fun going back to visit them. I really enjoy spending time with them.

Then there are cousins like Phi, Felicia, Steph, Ems, and Jono whom I don't get to see very often as they live in other parts of the world. Although we don't see each other often, we are still relatively close to each other, and do try to keep in touch from time to time. I remember playing with Ems and Jono a lot when they were toddlers. It was always fun playing with them especially during Mid Autumn Festival when the family get together to celebrate. Felicia and Steph I don't get to see often, as they are in Canada, but I get along well with Steph last time we are in town. I guess we just click as we are part of the extended family. Felicia... I don't really know well, but ever since Felicia was little, people have commented on how much we look alike. I haven't seen Felicia for a long time, so it is hard to tell if this is true or not these days.

Then, there are the cousins who live here in Sydney - Enrico, Michelle, Lyndon & Kath, Roland & Gazal, Fi and Giles. Although I don't get to see them as much as I would like, we get along well when we meet up. We spent a lot of time together during our high school years living in the same neighbourhood and whenever we went over to visit grandpa. We used to live one street away from Enrico and Michelle, so we used to do a lot of things together on the weekends, like fishing in Bobbin Head, going to lunch with the clan after church on Sunday, looking after them after school when auntie and uncle were busy with work. Those were fun days. Although all of us have grown up and moved on with life, something never change..... we are part of the family and we will remain part of the family for the rest of our lives. I am thankful that many of the cousins know the Lord and are serving faithfully at church. I pray that the day will come when all the cousins have a personal relationship with our Lord Jesus.

No comments: